You might have already heard about beehiiv, a quite new tool to monetize your emails. beehiiv has many advantages and that’s why’ve already talked about it in previous posts.
However, it’s not perfect and if you’re looking for alternatives for it, you’re in the right place, my friend.
Let’s jump straight to it and see why beehiiv might not be for you and which are the best beehiiv alternatives out there.
What is beehiiv
beehiiv is a newsletter platform launched in 2021 by Benjamin Hargett and Tyler Denk. They let you monetize your emails through premium subscriptions and modern ads.
beehiiv doesn’t take a fee off your revenue, and it has a free plan that lets you have up to 2,500 subscribers. However, you won’t be able to monetize your emails with this plan. To do that and access collaboration tools, you’ll need to pay at least $42 per month.
- Audience polls and advanced segmentation.
- Predictable flat-rate pricing.
- API access and integration with Notion, Discord, Drive and others.
One of the biggest issues you’ll face with beehiiv is they don’t offer email automation. Nowadays, automation features are everywhere and reduce incredibly the time you spend on your newsletter.
beehiiv is also, as you can see, a bit expensive compared to other options.
So with no further delay, let’s see some alternatives, shall we?
Best beehiiv alternatives
ConvertKit is a platform aimed at creators of all kinds: musicians, authors, podcasters, coaches, etc. It lets you not only create beautiful emails but also sell your digital goods and has a lot of learning resources to help you get started.
As well as using their drag-and-drop builder, they let you get your hands dirty with code if you wish so. With ConvertKit, you can also send emails automatically based on your subscriber’s journey.
- Create customizable segments.
- Automated email funnels.
- Advanced analytics and A/B testing.
- Integrates with Shopify, Squarespace, Teachable, Zapier and more.
- Free: send emails to up to 1,000 subscribers, create landing pages and sell products.
- Creator: $15 per month. Access unlimited forms, landing pages and broadcasts. You’ll also get automated email sequences and third-party integrations.
- Creator Pro: $29 per month. Unlimited team members, newsletter referral system and subscriber scoring.
You can test the premium plans with a 14-day free trial or request a demo. They also have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Finally, the last option on our list is MailerLite. MailerLite is one of the most complete beehiiv alternatives out there. They manage to offer advanced features all while removing any complexity of digital marketing and delivering a customer-friendly approach.
It is also relevant to note that they stand with Ukraine in many ways: from providing financial support to monitoring content related to war promotion.
- Auto resend campaign and other features to strengthen customer relationships.
- Email automation builder.
- Audience segmentation and personalization features.
- Reporting tools and A/B testing.
- Integrates with Zapier, PayPal and other 132 popular web services.
MailerLite has flexible plans that vary according to your number of subscribers. These are the prices for the lowest amount, that is, up to 1,000 subscribers:
- Free: send 12,000 emails per month and access the email automation builder.
- Growing business: $10 per month. Send unlimited emails, resend unopened campaigns and set up dynamic email content.
- Advanced: $21 per month. Add multiple triggers in automation and access a custom HTML editor.
- Custom pricing: for businesses with over 100K subscribers, they’ll offer a dedicated success manager, custom newsletter design and custom landing page design.
MailerLite has a 30-day full access period to test each premium plan.
Ghost is an open-source newsletter platform. As a non-profit organization, 100% of what they make is reinvested into making Ghost better!
Earlier this year, they launched Ghost 5.0, adding native support for videos, gifts, and even NFTs. They also added detailed audience segmentation and expanded analytics.
- Integrates with Zapier, Google Analytics, YouTube and other platforms.
- Native SEO features.
- Facebook Open Graph tags, canonical tags and optimized URLs.
- Open subscription platform.
You can get started for free thanks to their 14-day free trial and then choose a plan:
- Starter: $11 per month. Includes 500 subscribers and one premium tier.
- Creator: $31 per month. Includes 1,000 subscribers, 2 users and 5 premium tiers as well as a custom domain.
- Team: $63 per month. 1,000 subscribers, unlimited premium tiers and advanced migrations.
- Business: $249 per month. Unlimited staff users and newsletters, as well as 99.9% uptime SLA.
Flodesk is a platform for designing emails and creating high-converting checkout pages. You can sign up for a plan that lets you do both or choose only one.
Flodesk has many automation features that allow you, for example, to share your freebie automatically when someone signs up. So basically, you’ll run your lead-generating marketing on autopilot.
- Intuitive email builder.
- Pop-ups, embedded forms and full-page forms.
- Integrates with Zapier, Shopify, WordPress, Slack, and others.
- Workflow automation.
- Analytics: open and click rates, subscriber growth, funnel detail and more.
You can try Flodesk for free, no credit card is required.
- Email: $38 per month. Includes workflow automation and landing page forms, as well as unlimited subscribers and emails.
- Checkout: $38 per month. Get unlimited sales pages, upsells, payments, and more.
- Everything: $64 per month. All the email marketing and e-commerce combined.
Buttondown is a minimalistic newsletter platform run by Justin Duke and him alone. You’ll receive a personalized answer from him each time you need help!
While all the tools in this list are user-friendly, Buttondown’s clean interface makes it one of the easiest to use.
You can also write in Markdown and easily embed Tweets, accept multiple global currencies and let users choose whatever amount they want to pay you.
- “Pay what you want” mode, which includes minimum amounts.
- Discussion threads.
- Track subscriber retention, open rates, and more with flexible, powerful analytics.
- First-party API, Squarespace, IFTTT, Ghost and other third-party integrations.
- Free: includes 100 subscribers and audience segmentation.
- Basic: $9 per month. Send emails to up to 1,000 subscribers, unlock paid subscriptions, customer service and rich analytics.
- Standard: $29 per month. Includes 5,000 subscribers, Zapier integration and multiple newsletters.
- Professional: $79 per month. Includes 10,000 subscribers and all the features in Standard.
If you cancel a paid plan in your first month, you’ll get a full refund with no questions asked.
Campaign Monitor is an email marketing platform that’s part of the CM Group. This beehiiv alternative is chosen by big brands such as Sephora and Nissan.
One of its strongest features is its email automation, which allows you to engage with your customers at the right time and with the right message.
They also have tons of marketing resources to help you create the best possible emails.
- Automated emails.
- Charge in local currency.
- Time zone sending and send time optimization.
- Integrates with Shopify, Unbounce, OptinMonster and others.
Campaign Monitor has flexible plans that vary according to the number of contacts in your list. Here are the prices for 1,000 contacts:
- Basic: $29 per month. Send up to 12,500 emails and work with unlimited team members.
- Unlimited: $59 per month. Send unlimited emails and use a countdown timer to add urgency.
- Premier: $149 per month. Determine the best time to send emails, lock sections of your email and access advanced link tracking.
If you’re only sending emails occasionally, you can also pay per campaign.
If you’re a Twitter user, Revue is perfect for you. It was created by the social media platform and it lets your fans subscribe to your newsletter directly from Twitter, either from one of your tweets or your profile.
Moreover, Revue has a browser extension that allows you to save articles from anywhere on the Internet to add later to your newsletter.
- Cross-publishing: post your issues to Medium, WordPress and other platforms.
- WordPress plugin and content integrations like Pocket, Instagram or Facebook.
- Schedule newsletters to send later.
- Engagement analytics.
- Open subscription platform.
Revue lets you send newsletters for free. However, they will take a 5% cut of your revenue in addition to processing fees if you set up a paid membership option for your subscribers.
When it comes to building a newsletter and finding ways to monetize it, the options are endless. beehiiv is certainly a great platform, though still young and lacking some powerful features.
It’s not easy to find an alternative, but the platforms in this list are amazing options.
If I had to choose only one, I’d have to go with MailerLite. Their stunning set of tools helps you automate your campaigns and gives you lots of options to connect with your audience. Moreover, their flexible plans make sure you can use MailerLite no matter your budget.
Have you tried MailerLite or other beehiiv alternatives mentioned in this post?
What was your experience?
Tell us in the comments!